Painted Turtle Rocks
Designed by Charlene Pena with Delta Soy Paint.
Delta Soy Paint
Butternut Squash 091110202
Black Onyx 091060202
White Onion 091910202
Variety of Artist Brushs, including shaders and liners
Please take a moment to review the instructions on all product packaging before beginning any project.
NOTE: Because each rock is individual, please be aware that no two pieces will be alike. Do your best to find a rock that “appears” turtle shaped. Feel free to adapt pattern or colors to suit your taste and the shape of your rock.
1. Using chalk, begin the sketching process by separating the top carapace (shell)from the bottom. Draw his head, arms, and legs using general oval shapes.
2. Paint the top half of the shell with Kiwi and let dry completely.
3. Paint bottom half of the shell with Cucumber. Let dry completely.
4. Mix colors for an olive shade of green using Foliage and cucumber and little bit of Butternut Squash. When happy with your mixed color, paint the head and legs. Let dry completely.
5. When dry, go back with chalk and sketch in the details of the shell, beginning in the center and working towards the edge.
6. Again, designs may differ depending on shape of rock, for best results, try to keep design symmetrical and as even as possible.
7. Shade the inside edges of each “scute” with the olive green mix.
8. Shade again more lightly with Butternut Squash.
9. Use a liner brush to outline each scute with Foliage. Also outline the division between the two shells and fill in the voids between the legs, head, and the recesses of the shell.
10. Use a fine liner to “highlight” the Foliage division lines with Banana. Take a shader and dry brush highlights on each of the schutes.
11. Draw the turtles face with chalk –Tip – draw or visualize a wide triangle with the nostrils being at the corner and the eyes positioned in the lower third of the head. Use photo as a guide.
12. Eyes and nostrils are painted with Black Onyx.
13. Shade the head and the legs with Foliage.
14. Add a small comma of White Onion to highlight the eyes.
15. Outline eyes with Kiwi and then with Banana.
16. Highlight the top of the head and the legs by drybrushing with Banana.
17. Paint in “toes” if desired with banana.